Motorcycle Trainers

A site for Motorcycle Trainers to exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What the heck is a roundabout, and why are they so bad?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:34 pm 
Site Administrator

There's been a lot of discussion on one of the local talk shows about roundabouts (or "rotaries" as I've heard them described in the eastern US), and the fact that they have a shockingly high rate of collisions, given that they're "supposed" to be so simple. Two of them in New Berlin, Wisconsin, for example are in the top 3 most dangerous intersections on a per-vehicle-operation basis.... and they're within sight of each other.

While doing some background checks on the situation (Wisconsin DOT wants to change many busy intersections into roundabouts whenever they come up for major repair), WiDOT has linked to a page from Alaska that describes their operation, with animations. I thought people here might want to see "proper roundabout etiquette".

I know of only 2 in the area I normally travel. One is so small, you have to wonder why it's there (and it's too close to the police station to have any REAL fun on! :cry: ), and the other is so totally screwed up that it sometimes seems dangerous to stand too close to it. But, a lot of the pages I've found while poking around says that it isn't just WiDOT on the RA bandwagon; US DOT is pushing them, too. Any time federal money is involved, the agency doing the work must at least consider making major intersections into roundabouts, rather than using lots of traffic lights.

Hmmm... I should go check the ILDOT webpages, and see if they're planning any new ones around here... I know two intersections that were just built (tollway ramps) that probably would have made great RAs.

"In other endeavors that involve life-threatening equipment, it is expected to start slow, and build up to the harder stuff. You don't take a basic SCUBA course and then go on a working tour with an off-shore drilling company, or take on a free-climbing assault on Everest after conquering your first climbing wall. But people will gladly skip right to 'sudden death-capable' with cars and bikes." - me

Post subject: Re: What the heck is a roundabout, and why are they so bad?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:43 am 
Site Administrator

Wisconsin DOT has been going bonkers on roundabouts for years... here's a full-house set of them, from near Richmond, Wisconsin

"In other endeavors that involve life-threatening equipment, it is expected to start slow, and build up to the harder stuff. You don't take a basic SCUBA course and then go on a working tour with an off-shore drilling company, or take on a free-climbing assault on Everest after conquering your first climbing wall. But people will gladly skip right to 'sudden death-capable' with cars and bikes." - me